We come to one of the most prized planes of Erickson’s collection, this B-17G Flying Fortress, a World War II bomber.
Erickson’s B-17G which was formerly named 'Chuckie', after the previous owner’s wife, but the move to Madras offered an
opportunity for a name change: 'Madras Maiden'. Because Madras served as a primary training base for B-17 crews during WW2.
flew as 48543/Chuckie, as shown by a photo by Gerben Groothuis taken in Oct.2011 at Meacham IAP, Texas
Serial: 44-8543. Civil Registration: N3701G.
Manufactured by Lockheed-Vega, Burbank CA
Delivered to USAAF as 44-8543.
- BOC: October 16, 1944.
- SOC: May 1959.
- Allocated to Cheyenne Modification Center, WY, October 1944.
- Transferred to Domestic Project 50A, November 1944
- Transferred to 4142nd AAF Base Unit (Air Technical Service Command), Patterson AAF, OH, Sep1945.
-- Designated TB-17G.
- Transferred to 4000th AAF Base Unit (Air Materiel Command), Patterson AAF, January 1946.
- Loaned to Honeywell, Minneapolis, MN. November 1946.
- Transferred to 4152nd AF Base Unit (AMC), Clinton County AFB, OH, June 1948.
- Transferred to 2760th Air Base Group (AMC), Clinton County AFB, OH, March 1949.
-- Designated as ETB-17G.
- Transferred to 2750th Air Base Wing (AMC), Wright-Patterson AFB OH, September, 1949.
- Transferred to HQ Air Research and Development Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Oh, April 1951.
- Transferred to Wright Air Development Center (ARDC), Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, January 1952.
- Leased to Federal Telecommunications Laboratory, Westchester MAP, NY, December 1952.
- Leased to Federal Telecommunications Laboratory, Teterboro AP, NJ, April 1957.
-- Designated as JTB-17G.
- Transferred to Arizona Aircraft Storage Branch (AMC), Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, January 1959.
- Dropped from inventory as surplus, May 1959.
American Compressed Steel, Cincinatti, OH, August 18, 1959-1960.
- Registered as N3701G.
Aero American Corp, Tucson, AZ, May 9, 1960-1961.
Albany Building Corp, Fort Lauderdale, FL, February 6, 1961.
- Operated by Leroy Brown, hauling freight, Bahama, 1961.
John B. Gregory, Fort Lauderdale, FL, May 15, 1962.
Donthan Aviation Corp, Dothan, AL, March 7, 1963-1979.
- Flew as sprayer.
- Damaged during fire-ant dusting, Cordele, GA, August 17, 1976.
William D. Hospers/Vintage Flying Museum, Fort Worth, TX, October 4, 1979-2010.
- Restored to airworthy status.
- Flew as 48543/Chuckie.
Gerald Yagen/Military Aviation Museum, Virginia Beach, VA, October 2010-2013.
- Fitted with chin turret and other military equipment.
Tillamook Air Museum, Tillamook, OR, 2013.
Boeing developed this four-engine heavy bomber aircraft in the 1930s for the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC).
The B-17 was primarily employed by the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) in the daylight precision strategic bombing campaign of World War II against German industrial and military targets.
From its pre-war inception, the USAAC (later USAAF) touted the aircraft as a strategic weapon; it was a potent, high-flying, long-range bomber that was able to defend itself, and to return home despite extensive battle damage.
A total of 155 B-17s of all variants were delivered between 11 January 1937 and 30 November 1941, but production quickly accelerated, with the B-17 eventually setting the record for achieving the highest production rate for large aircraft. By the time production ended in May 1945, 12.731 aircraft had been built by Boeing, Douglas, and Vega (a subsidiary of Lockheed).
As of September 2011, 13 aircraft remain airworthy, with dozens more in storage or on static display.
The large parasol wingspan of the Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina N2172N is obvious here.
PBY-5A NX2172N (c/n 1886) has the following previous identities: BuNo.46522,
N5585V, CF-FFA, C-FFFA.
The Douglas B-26 Invader sits so high on its undercarriage that I find it a pain to take a decent picture!
Douglas TB-26B Invader NX3222T (c/n 28001), former: 44-34722, N3222T, N62289,
BuNo.126912, 41 (France), 126912 (Gabon).
B-25 MITCHELL 44-30748 (c/n 108-34023)
Photo by Ada Leeuw
Its history from www.warbirdregistry.org/b25registry/b25-4430748.html:
Built at NAA's Kansas City Plant, late 1944.
Delivered to USAAF as 44-30748.
- BOC: February 1945.
- SOC: January 1959.
- Stored at Davis Monthan AFB, AZ, December 1958-1959.
Ace Smelting Inc, Phoenix, AZ, May 19, 1959.
- Registration N3447G reserved but not taken up.
- Acquired as surplus for $1,143.
Alson-Niblock Flying Inc, Elkhart, IN, May 1959.
- Registered as N8195H.
Christler & Avery Aviation, Greybull, WY, December 1959-1963.
- Fitted with agricultural hopper & spray bars installed, January 1960.
Avery Aviation, Greybull, WY, August 1961-1968.
Filmways Inc, Hollywood, CA, 1968-1972.
- Flew in movie 'Catch 22' as 'M&M' and 'Miss Renee', 1968-1969.
Tallmantz Aviation, Orange County, CA, August 1971-1972.
- Open storage, 1970-1972.
Milan S. Pupich, Van Nuy, CA, March 1972-2002.
- Restored to airworthy status, 1972-1974.
- First flight, 1974.
- Flew off deck of USS Ranger in San Diego Bay to commemorate
the 50th anni of the Doolittle Raid, 1992.
- Complete Upper Gun Turret and tail gun assembly installed, March 1997.
- Flown as 430748/Heavenly Body.
-- Scheme of Heavenly Body, 390th BS, 42nd BG, 13th AF.
Tallmantz Aviation Collection on YouTube
Frank Tallman - Wikipedia
Photo by Ada Leeuw